UK health workers jubilate as Nigerian surgeon Professor Olagunju Ogunbiyi recovers from COVID-19

Health workers at a hospital in the United Kingdom couldn’t contain their excitement after a Nigerian surgeon recovered from the coronavirus.

Professor Olagunju Ogunbiyi – a consultant colorectal surgeon at the Royal Free Hospital in North London, who also consults at the Wellington Hospital in St John’s Wood, still in North London – recovered from COVID-19 after receiving treatment for about six weeks.

He revealed he was treated in an intensive care unit for about two weeks, adding that he has never been hospitalised in his entire life.

Professor Olagunju Ogunbiyi said

“Thank you very much, everyone … just over 6 weeks ago I came here, sort of feeling very ill and I put my trust in my colleagues and they haven’t disappointed,” he said.

“The care I have received in the intensive care unit has been superb. I don’t think I could’ve got any better care anywhere. When I came to the ward, the same thing, everything has been perfect.

“It’s the very first time I have ever been hospitalised in my life and it’s good to have had a major life-threatening illness and come through it,” he said

Professor Olagunju Ogunbiyi added that he’ll have to go home and recover fully, saying “I can’t believe my legs are like jelly, it’s as if I’m learning how to walk again. I should be back soon, many thanks to everyone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment